Even though schools are closed, our Justice in the Schools project continues to provide free legal services to eligible families.
Justice in the Schools (JTS) is a joint project between Legal Aid of Western Missouri, Kansas City Public School District, School SmartKC, Hickman Mills School District, and Local Investment Commission (LINC).
JTS operates out of several schools in the Kansas City and Hickman Mills school districts to help with issues that negatively affect students and their families.
The clinics will assist families with eviction defense issues in an effort to address the student mobility crisis, as well as address other issues within the practice areas provided. Legal Aid will provide high-quality, free legal services to eligible families within each school district’s boundaries.
Legal services provided by the project include:
- Landlord/Tenant Law (eviction defense)
- Public & Subsidized Housing Issues
- Foreclosure Prevention
- Domestic Violence Protection
- Food Stamps, TANF, & SSI
- Consumer Matters (car titles, loans, bankruptcy)
- Tax Law Clinic
- Denial of Unemployment Benefits
We do not:
- Help landlords
- Help commercial/business tenants
- Provide legal assistance for criminal cases
If you are not sure whether the Justice in the Schools project can help you, go ahead and call (816) 945-7736.