We offer services only in civil (non-criminal) matters. We do not have the resources to handle every eligible client’s case. Our staff must choose those cases in which our help will have a significant impact on the client.
The types of cases we take include:
- Housing Law – Landlord/tenant issues, foreclosure and other housing problems
- Domestic Violence Protection – help survivors of domestic violence and their families achieve safety and stability
- Healthcare/Public Benefits – Assist with state-run programs such as MO HealthNet (Medicaid), food stamps, Temporary Assistance and Blind Pension
- Federal Rights – Help with federal benefit claims such as Social Security, SSI, and Medicare
- Veterans – Help veterans and their family members in a variety of legal matters
- Immigration Law – Help immigrants with residency and citizenship
- Mental Healthcare – Help adults with mental illness in a variety of legal matters
- Consumer Law – Help individuals with creditor/debtor problems and victims of deceptive or predatory lending
- Low Income Taxpayer Clinic – Help with IRS disputes
- Migrant Farmworkers Project – Provide legal services to migrant and seasonal farmworkers throughout Missouri
- Economic Development – Represent nonprofit community organizations in neighborhood improvement activities
- Guardianships for minors and incapacitated adults
- Municpal Court Defense – represent on OPEN cases in Kansas City Municipal Court in which the city is seeking jail time.
If you are not sure, go ahead and apply for help.